Study Permit

International Students who wish to study in Canada for more than six months may require a Study Permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Please see below for the Study Permit Renewal.

How to Apply to the Canadian Embassy for a Study Permit

Step 1:

Obtain an application form for a Study Permit from the Canadian Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission nearest your home.

Step 2:

Gather the necessary documents: Make sure you submit all the appropriate documentation with your application. Missing documentation will delay your receipt of a Study Permit.

Below is a checklist of the key requirements that you will have to submit with your application.

  • Proof of financial support to show that you have enough money during your stay in Canada. This includes:
    • Proof that your tuition and homestay fees have been prepaid (as stated on your Letter of Acceptance from the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board)
    • Proof that you have sufficient funds for return transportation, spending money in Canada, etc. You can use your bank statements for the past four months for this purpose.
  • Proof of identity: a valid passport
  • An Official Letter of Acceptance from the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
  • A notarized Declaration of Custodianship

A medical examination will be required if your stay in Canada will exceed six months. Medical processing will add several weeks to the time necessary to obtain your Study Permit. The medical examination forms can be obtained from the Canadian Embassy or High Commission, or from your Canadian Education Centre.

Step 3:

Submit the Study Permit application form and the required documents along with the Study Permit application fee to the appropriate Canadian Embassy.

Step 4:

A student may be required to attend an interview with the Visa Officer at the Canadian Embassy. You must satisfy the Canada Immigration Visa Officer that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. Once all statutory requirements are met, you will be given a Study Permit.

Renewing your Study Permit

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must renew your Study Permit by completing the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current study permit expires.

The Documents you need to attach to your application:

  1. Completed Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada
  2. Completed Document Checklist
  3. Stamped Receipt *
  4. Custodianship Declaration (See the Instruction Guide for more information)
  5. Photocopy of your passport
  6. Photocopy of your current Study Permit
  7. Letter of Acceptance from the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
  8. Proof of funds available/means of support
  9. Photocopy of transcript from your last two periods of study

*An original receipt of payment form can be picked up at the International Student Program office. This form is not available online.

Submit your completed application to the address given in the application package. Make sure you include the fee receipt and all the necessary documents.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.